First and foremost, Thank You to the dozens of folx who took the time to answer our survey and send us emails asking questions directly.
These Frequently Asked Questions have been culminated from the questions and answers you provided.
Please be patient with us as we are learning as we grow. We are here for you if you have any questions or concerns and please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at BeetBoxCSA@anvfarm.org or 762-BEETBOX (762-233-8269).
- Sign up for the CSA Here: https://store.anvfarm.org/
- Orders for shares to be delivered or picked up on Wednesdays need to be placed (or rescheduled) by 12pm on Mondays. Orders for shares that will be picked up from the Omni on Saturdays need to be placed by 12pm on Thursdays.
- Pick Up from all locations and Deliveries will happen on Wednesdays and Pick Up at the Omni Commons will happen on Saturdays at the Omni.
How are our boxes going to change as a result of this transition?
- At the start of the state's Shelter In Place orders, ANV partnered with Slow Food East Bay to form the Sister Farms Project. The partnerships formed with this project allows us to source produce from a number of small scale farmers of color in the Central Valley and the Central Coast area. Many of these farmers already supply the BeetBox CSA and have lost revenue due to restaurants and other businesses closing during the pandemic. This has significantly increased the variety and quantity of the produce included in our CSA shares.
What's going to happen to the farmers currently supplying Beetbox? How are they going to adjust to the sudden drop off in demand in the middle of the growing season?
- As the BeetBox transitions under the leadership of ANV, it is with great intent that we continue to source from the farmers that have been supporting the BeetBox. In fact, we are supporting a few more small scale family farmers of color through the partnership with Asian Business Institute and Resource Center (ABIRC) & Community Alliance with Family Farmers (CAFF).
How much is the price increasing?
- SNAP/ EBT Full Share = $20
- SNAP/ EBT Half Share = $15
- SNAP/ EBT Fruit Share = $10
- Full Share = $40*
- Half Share = $25*
- Fruit Share = $20*
- Nuts = $7 each
- Honey = $10
- Olive Oil = $25
- Spice Mix: $7
- Chef Leisha’s Oakland Girl Blend
- Chef Tu’s Lemongrass Mix
Why is the price increasing?
- Your dollars work in many different ways within the Oakland community and beyond.
- You support ongoing educational opportunities for ANV’s participating youth through Individual Development Accounts (IDA’s). 100% of the profit from each CSA goes into our participating youth’s IDA, which can only be used for educational purposes.
- You support folx who have been working to make the BeetBox happen for a long time. We think it’s important to pay them a living wage for the hours and effort they put forth weekly to not only ensure that you receive the highest quality produce, but also that the food system becomes more equitable and just.
- You help folx gain access to hyper local/ healthy and nutritious food. By increasing the price of the CSA, ANV is able to purchase more produce to donate to some of our most vulnerable populations, including local children and the unhoused.
- You are supporting local farmers AND service providers of color. J&J Ramos Farms, Avalos Organics, Vang Farm, Castlemont Farm, Yeyi Organics, ANV Farms and more.
We hope that you stay with us, but we understand that we may not be the best option for you and/ or your family. We believe that an informed decision is better than an assumed one. Please sign up for ANV's BeetBox and make your dollar bounce through the community in the ways stated above.
Will deliveries start again?
- Yes. The week of 9/1/2021. For an extra fee of $10 per delivery.
What are the pick-up/ delivery days?
- Delivery and pick-up will happen on Wednesdays. If you choose to have your share delivered, it will happen on Wednesday afternoons. Saturday's are pick-up only at the Omni.
What if I can't pick up my CSA on the day I've chosen?
- You always have the option of rescheduling your pick-up or delivery to a day that you can make it, within the guidelines of, before noon on Monday and Thursday. You can also designate a friend or family member to pick it up for you.
Just want to confirm whether “all CSAs will be picked up at OMNI until deliveries begin again” includes those for germ-sensitive people who have been getting the bags delivered until now.
When will we receive honey, again?
- Starting the week of 9/7/2020!
Why does the CSA come in paper bags now?
- Like many grocery stores and other food service providers, the BeetBox has your safety in mind. In trying to keep everyone safe during the pandemic, the BeetBox was moved to non returnable paper bags. Now, even though the BeetBox is moving to reusable tote bags, please keep them as our gift to you. ANV does not have the resources to properly clean and return the bags you bring back to us.
- We look forward to the day that we will be able to return to recycle the containers that your CSA comes in.
Is there a way to see what’s in the bag, online?
- Yes! ANV partnered with a fabulous cohort from the California College of the Arts (CCA) and an amazing graphic designer as well as our web host to create a searchable Online Pantry of "What's in the Bag" newsletter AND recipes sourced by the community for those items! Keep an eye out for a scannable QR code on your bag and a link to this amazing resource. Also, see the question about what's new below!
Is there a way to see what’s in the bag before pick-up/ delivery day?
- Yes! The same web link will have a list of what you can expect a couple of days before your pick-up/ delivery!
- In trying to realign the mission of the BeetBox with the original intent of community supported agriculture, customers will not be able to pick and choose what goes into the csa share beyond acknowledging allergies. We order what is available from the farmers at the time; this allows us to source the most fresh and ripe seasonal produce possible.
What new things can we expect from ANV's BeetBox?
- Cooking and preserving classes. These are live classes provided by local chefs who will help you figure out what to do with the abundance in your shares! Stay tuned for more information, as a CSA member, you will get first access to the classes.
- Exciting programming for youth. If you live with or care for a youth, you will be the first to know about ANV's exciting activities and perks for children ages 5-15!
- Event access. Members will be able to access discounted tickets to ANV's innovative and entertaining events!
- Free stuff! ANV regularly has contests and giveaways that you will be some of the first to hear about!